As an engineer I tend to observe and reflect on many things. Playing with my daughters I have noticed a few attitudes I embrace that transform our play into a STEM learning experience. A mindset I want to share with you.
What you can do as a parent to boost learning:
I TALK out loud and try not to oversimplify. I give them tools to communicate and express ideas. The more rich their vocabulary is, the more detailed their world becomes. And I am mindful of my language because I am aware that…
I MODEL and my attitudes become theirs. So I model excitement for learning and wanting to find solutions, I make mistakes so they can see that they are just part of learning. And I understand that they have a leading role in their learning so…
I MIRROR their curiosity and wonder, their excitement when discovering new things and I slow down and let them set the pace because it is important that..
I GIVE THEM TIME to figure things out by themselves because that is when learning truly sticks. And in the meantime…
I OBSERVE , watch how they approach challenges, what they are interested in. This helps me tailor future activities and hit the challenge sweet spot. And if they ask for help..
I WONDER OUT LOUD. I avoid giving direct answers but rather wonder about different possibilities and ask for their opinion because…
I am a TEAM PLAYER and not the know-it-all parent. Because of this I can enjoy the moment and…
I have fun and we EXPLORE TOGETHER , setting a positive foundation for future STEM learning.
Practice This Mindset With These Family STEM Activities:
- Playful And Colorful Water Play For Kids
- Ultimate Holiday STEM: Christmas Indoor Game For The Whole Family
- Spoon Ding Challenge: Engaging Ramp Activity For Early STEM
- Gardening With Kids: Beautiful Math And Art Activity
- Hands-on Engineering For Kids: How To Make A Wind Farm
Check Out Parenting Tips And Inspiration For STEM At Home:
- What is STEM and why is STEM Learning important?
- 5 Tips to Transform STEM Activities at Home
- 5 Reasons for Supporting STEM Learning at Home
- Discover The Best Strategies For Learning That Sticks
- Play-Based Learning: How Children Learn Through Play
- Have You Wondered With Your Kid Today?
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Free Play. A STEM Perspective
- Connect As A Family Through Play And Discovery
- How To Develop Early Math Skills Outdoors